Kayak Tour on the Colorado River - Hoover Dam to Willow Beach
This full day kayak tour is available to guests in Las Vegas. Guests will be picked up and dropped off at their Las Vegas Strip Hotel. Our most popular Colorado River Experience! This exciting and adventurous day on the river is the best value for those wanting the most "bang for their buck." You need only show up with a smile and ready for fun! This section of Black Canyon is moving flat-water, it is not a whitewater trip. It is perfect for first timers as well as seasoned paddlers.
Your day will begin as you meet your guide and prepare for the thrilling ride down the Lower Portal Road - the only road to the base of Hoover Dam. As you drop 1100' in elevation, the mighty Hoover Dam presents itself. After a short safety briefing and basic paddling instruction, you will get acquainted with your kayak. Once you are on the water, the adventure begins!
Your guide will show you unique and hidden places such as Gold Strike Canyon, Lone Palm Canyon, Arizona Hot Springs, Emerald Cave and many other treats. You may see big horn sheep, bald eagles, coyotes, red-tail hawks, turkey vultures, striped bass, and more. Remember to wear a bathing suit for soaking in the natural hot springs. Your day will also include a picnic lunch on a secluded beach or rock that will provide you with million dollar views. Paddle into Emerald Cave and check out the historic catwalk.
Your day ends at Willow Beach, where an air-conditioned shuttle will transport you back to your hotel on the Las Vegas Strip.
Tour Duration: 11 hours
Tour Time 6:00am > 5:30pm
Pickup Time: 4:30am - Guests will be contacted for pickup time on the Las Vegas Strip
Activities: Kayaking, Hiking, Swimming, Hot Springs, Wildlife Viewing
Details: Approximately 5 hours of paddling on the Colorado River. Water conditions are mostly flat, but can be choppy depending on wind, waves, and weather. Some sections have strong eddy lines and currents.
Equipment: Kayaks are high end, stable, and have rudders for steering. All safety equipment is provided, along with dry bags. Single or tandem boats available.
Hot Springs: 85F - 120F
Hiking: Short hikes in narrow slot canyons. Terrain is flat gravel washes, and volcanic rock, wet and slippery.
River Paddling Distance: 11.7 miles
Class: Moving Flatwater
Skill Level: Beginner +
Requires 2 Guest Minimum
Tour Time: 6:00am to 5:30pm
Pickup Time: 4:30am Must confirm pickup with outfitter.
Requires at least 48 hours advanced notice for outfitter to get a National Recreation Area permit. Tour may not be available if permits are sold out. Must check availability to confirm.
guest info - what to know/bring?
In summer: Shorts and a T-shirt, along with a hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen. Wear a bathing suit under layers of clothing. Some people prefer long sleeves to protect from sun exposure. Be sure to wear river sandals or old tennis shoes that can get wet. Flip flops are not suitable for the area; the algae and moss is very slippery and flip flops don't give enough support. You should definitely bring a camera or buy a waterproof disposable.
In winter: Bathing suit under long sleeves and pants (no cotton). Cotton tends to retain water, so fleece or synthetic material is best for cold weather. Nylon, polyester, capilene, and polypropylene work wonders. A light fleece jacket keeps you warm after soaking, and a pair of wool socks will warm your feet even when wet. A ski-type beanie or hat that covers your ears is oh-so-nice and a light pair of gloves will keep your digits warm and toasty. Bring sunglasses and sunscreen. Water shoes or river sandals will be fine. Don't forget the camera!
Retail $$: $221.00 ($199.00+$22.00 permit)
- Cancellations made 14 days in advance will receive a full refund, minus a 6% processing fee.
- Cancellations made within 7-13 days will receive a 50% refund.
- Cancellations made within 3-6 days will receive a 25% refund.
- Absolutely NO refunds will be issued for cancellations within 48 hours of a reservation.
- Day trips can be rescheduled with at least 48 hours notice. Multi-day trips can be rescheduled with at least 14 days notice (Rescheduling fees will apply).
- Rescheduling fees of $25 per person for guided trips, and $10 per person for self-guided trips will be assessed for any change in date. Permits will need to be re-purchased per NPS policies.
- Routes and trips are proposed and might change. Although we will do everything in our power to make sure trips are as described, we may change routes, locations, or times to ensure the safety of our guests and guides.
- We cannot be responsible for wind, weather, waves, rain, heat, flash floods, earthquakes, or unforseen circumstances.
- Desert Adventures reserves the right to cancel trips due to weather or unsafe conditions. In this case, we will reschedule, issue a credit, or refund money, depending on individual circumstances.
- Desert Adventures does not cancel trips due to rain.
- If the trip departs as scheduled, the above cancellation policy will apply.